at McConnell-Talbert Stadium in Warner Robins during the
2007 Georgia Golden Olympics.
The 25th Annual Georgia Golden Olympics, which began Wednesday, wraps up today in Warner Robins.
There were 369 athletes participating in events such as shuffleboard, bowling, horseshoe toss, swimming, running, Frisbee toss, softball and basketball throw, tennis, walking, archery, cycling, checkers, racquetball and billiards, among other activities.
This year was a non-qualifying year for athletes, who will return in 2008 to qualify for the 2009 Summer National Senior Games in Palo Alto, Calif.
The 2007 national games in Louisville, Ky., ended in July with more than 12,000 athletes participating.
Men and women 50 and older may participate in the games, which help to create an awareness of the abilities and capabilities of older adults, according to the Georgia games Web site.
Also, health and wellness are promoted with an interest in lifetime sports recreation and physical activity.
Hosted by the Warner Robins Recreation Department, the games are supported by the Georgia Department of Human Resources, Division of Public Health, Georgia Health Care Association, Georgia Recreation and Park Association, Senior Citizens Section, Robins Air Force Base services division, UGA J.W. Fanning Institute for Leadership and Community Development and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
If you'd like to learn more about participating in the 2008 Georgia Golden
you may visit www.georgiagoldenolympics.org.
IF YOU GO
Events today in the 2007 Georgia Golden Olympics include:
• 8 a.m. 5K Run, Town Center area at Davis Drive and Young Avenue; Tennis finals, Perkins Park.
• 8:30 a.m. 5K Race/walk, Town Center area.
• 9 a.m. 5K Walk, Town Center area.
• 10 a.m. Basketball 3-on-3 final, Warner Robins Recreation Department gym; Checkers, McIntyre Room; Football Throw, Perkins Park; Half-mile walk, Town Center area; Racquetball, Robins Air Force Base.
• 11 a.m. Clock Golf, Frisbee Throw and Wheelchair Race, Perkins Park.
• Noon, Softball Throw, Perkins Park.
• 1 p.m., Basketball Throw, Recreation Department gym; and Horseshoe Toss, Perkins Park.
2007 Tournament Dates